About Me

I am a wife and mom who has Martha Stewart aspirations and gets stuff done with the grace of Lucille Ball. I would love you to join me on my journey and maybe have some laughs along the way.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Let's Get Together!

The Hot Mess Life

April 15, 2009

Englorean?

Ok, so I am trying to relearn Korean. According to my mom I used to be fluent in both Korean and English when I was younger. I guess I lost it when we lived with my American grandmother, my mom thought it would be rude to speak a foreign language in her house. I honestly don't know how you loose a language, my mom was telling me that she thinks her Korean is not as good as it once was since she does not speak it on a regular basis. One of my Korean cousins is here going to college for a year, so I wonder if that would help her out a little, but we are supposed to speak English to her so she can learn to be fluent in English. Soooo maybe that won't be a big help after all.

I am able to read at a elementary level and write at a very, very, very elementary level, and know basic words. I feel like I know more, I just feel that if I use it every day, it will become easier for me to learn. Which means I should call my mom everyday and practice, but for some reason I am very embarrassed to speak the little Korean I do know to anyone. I know this sounds silly, but I dream in Korean, and I can get the "gist" of a conversation, I just feel that there is a little door in my brain, and behind is all the Korean I need. So, I have done many starts and restarts in this process. I got the Rosetta Stone which does work if you do it every day. I also took some Korean classes (which i'm not sure if they offer it anymore, I would like to go again). Then there are books, instruction books and phrase books up the wazoo.

I don't know why I don't keep on one track, I think I just get frustrated, I feel that I should know what I am already learning, so I feel that I am just relearning.
For the last two or three weeks, I am have pretty good about keeping up with my "lessons", which are my own form of learning. I am using every tool at my disposal, the Rosetta Stone program, my books, and podcasts. I just learned that there are Korean language podcasts which are really awesome, I listen to them at work all day, just repeating them. I also am putting Korean recording artists, I am hoping to immerse myself in the language as well to maybe help me along. So, I will keep updated posts on my progress, maybe i'll start putting a "Word O' the Day", so maybe that will help me as well.

K
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Watcha Thinkin'?